By Crystal: It is very important in life to take care of yourself. I think a lot of people think they are taking care of themselves, when in reality they are not. During these unprecedented times of global stress, illness and uncertainty, it is more important than ever to put you first, and get strong, and look after you.
A healthy immune system does not happen by itself. It is the most important system in your body, and needs attention daily. What does your self-care look like? Do you make time everyday to do something to keep you healthy?
Here are some examples of healthy self-care:
• Self-care does not necessarily mean exercise. It means one hour per day every day where you do something healthy & nurturing for you.
• Something healthy could be a massage, a 10 minute meditation – the apps Calm and Headspace are free & very good for beautiful meditative music, spoken meditations, meditations for anxiety, sleep etc. A facial, manicure, pedicure, walk on the beach or a movie at the cinema.
• Acupuncture is also very good for stress, anxiety, chronic illness and chronic pain. I have acupuncture myself on a regular basis to help me regulate my stress. If you regulate your stress you regulate your emotions. Research has shown that acupuncture keeps your immune system healthy and strong. Find a good doctor near you who does acupuncture. In Australia you can claim a portion of it back from Medicare or small gap. Some doctors bulk bill acupuncture in Australia.
• Hobbies. Hobbies are essential for self-care. These are activities that you enjoy, that bring you joy. It could be surfing, playing basketball, or any kind of team sports, knitting, crochet, embroidery, collecting things, buying presents for people, helping others, giving of your time to volunteer to help those less fortunate than you, babysitting for family or friends, cooking meals for family or friends – you can fill in the blanks here. It is very important that you do your hobby every week, preferably every day. You could find 10 minutes to do your hobby each day.
• Self-care is about prioritizing self. Are you prioritizing yourself? Or everyone else and their needs and their demands, reasonable or not, and this includes children.
• You can find 1 hour per day for YOU. Do something that makes you happy, relaxes you and brings you joy. You can find 10 minutes per day to meditate. Your immune system will thank you.
• Life is the most difficult it has ever been. All of us are under unbearable pressures and all of us are trying to navigate a new, confusing & uncertain world.
• Exercise: healthy body, healthy mind is very true. You can find 10 minutes per day to do some exercise. It could be a swim, a walk, 10 minutes of pilates, yoga, push ups, sit ups etc. There are thousands of exercise videos on the internet. Lots of celebrities do exercise videos. Australian actor Chris Hemsworth has some on his Facebook or Instagram. Find one that will motivate you, that you will want to do. Once you start doing this every day, the motivation will follow.
Remember: It is still a beautiful world. Strive to be happy.
Warm Blessings, Love and Light,